In an age where almost every person is on some form of social media, you cannot afford to ignore it for your business – for awareness and for SEO. Simply setting up a social media page without any strategy won’t get you anywhere.
You need to follow a few steps to make sure you get it right:
- Plan your content
- Decide when you put it online
- Establish how to engage with your audience
The best way to bring everything together is by creating a social media calendar.
What Is A Social Media Calendar?
A social media calendar is an important tool to help plan your social content in a way that will help you connect better with your audience. Here’s an example for you to consider:
You’re in the business of selling women’s handbags, so you cannot afford to ignore special occasions like Women’s Day and Mother’s Day.
But keeping track of these days off the top of your mind can be downright impossible when you’re focussing on your business. A social media calendar puts everything into a proper structure to help you get your social media strategy right for your target audience. A social media calendar gives you several benefits:
- You’ll be part of the conversation online during the most important days for your business.
- You’ll be able to identify seasonal trends that are relevant to your business.
- You’ll be able to explore new ways to engage with your audience through special occasions.
How To Create A Social Media Calendar?
Now that you’re aware of how useful a social media calendar can be, it’s time to create it with the right structure. Consider the following:
Identify Important Days Relevant To Your Business
A social media calendar will help you stay on top of all the days that are important for your business and product. Consider the following:
- Look for days that are directly related to your business so you can be part of online conversations when they occur.
- Look for days that are indirectly related to your business, but you can connect to. For example, as a woman’s handbag seller, you could tailor a product to children’s events and festivals to target this audience. Sometimes new opportunities are unlocked on important days that aren’t directly related to you. Make use of these days to give your product a special edge over competition.
- Plan content around these important days and make sure you tie this back to your business and products. Share videos, infographics and other visuals to make the content interesting. Adding a personal touch always makes content more relevant.
Start Posting Regularly
Make sure your content calendar is packed with regular posts so you remain relevant and in the mind of readers. This gives your brand an online identity. Consider the following:
posting on most of the important days.
- Create Relevant Content: It is important to post on as many special days as possible, but find a way to tie it back to your products and services. You don’t want to end up flooding your readers with irrelevant content. The idea is to create content that is useful, relevant and engaging while staying top of mind.
- Create Engaging Posts: While regular posting is important, they must be engaging for your target audience to remain interested. Posting regularly allows you to engage with a wider audience provided you create content that they resonate with.
- Write Posts In Advance: As much as possible, create your posts in advance so that you’re ready to go on the day. Don’t wait until the last minute because you could end up with a poorly written piece.
Allocate Resources Effectively
Creating a social media calendar requires effective resource allocation so you don’t end up missing out on important days for your business. Consider the following:
- When you have a calendar, you’ll be in a stronger position to determine how resources need to be allocated towards particular posts and pieces of content.
- Planning each post in advance allows you to allocate resources accordingly. For example, does the post need a content writer, video editor and graphic designer or will the content writer and graphic designer be enough?
- Efficient resource allocation helps to optimise budgetary spends.
A social media calendar defines what resource is needed for each post – giving you the chance to direct resources towards other tasks as optimally as possible.
Putting together a social media calendar is an efficient way to stay on top of your online posts for better SEO over time.